Belfast born Kathryn Ferguson is an award-winning Film Director, Selfridges Resident Film Director & Fashion Film Research Fellow, currently living and working in London.
She has made many films for fashion designers, international brands and musicians including Chloé, Selfridges, Vogue, Air France, Dev Hynes & Neneh Cherry, Nike, Sinead O’Connor, Sony, Lady Gaga and SHOWstudio. Kathryn creatively re-imagines storytelling by stretching the conventions of cinéma vérité. Her work is focused around creating more positive representations of women, identity and diverse casting within fashion, music and advertising. Her films have been screened globally at film festivals around the world and on platforms such as MTV, Dazed Digital, Nowness, Twin, the BBC, Vogue Video and appeared on BOF’s Top 10 Fashion Films of the Season. Film festivals, screenings and group shows include OneDotZero, the Berlinale, the V&A, ASVOFF at the Pompidou Centre, Aesthetica Film Festival and Birds Eye View Film Festival at the BFI.
It’s Nice That Talk, London, 2016
- Kinsale Sharks 2017 - Creative Bravery Award - Amnesty International “25 Annoying Things”
- Vimeo Staff Pick 2017 - “Incredible Machines”
- VOTD 2016 - “Incredible Machines”
- Shots Awards 2016 - Nominated - Best online Content - “Incredible Machines”
- Buenos Aires Fashion Film Festival 2016 - Best Fashion Film 2016 & Best Music 'He,She,Me' Neneh Cherry & Dev Hynes
- Vimeo Staff Pick 2015 - 'He, She, Me' Neneh Cherry & Dev Hynes
- FFFMilan 2016 - Nominated - Best Photography - ‘Incredible Machines’
- CanIFFF 2016 - Nominated - Best Concept - ‘Incredible Machines’
- Kinsale Sharks 2015 - Nominated - Best Music Video and Best Colour Grading- 'He, She, Me'Neneh Cherry & Dev Hynes
- Toronto Fashion Film Festival 2015 - Nominated - Best Fashion Film - 'Change is a Beautiful Thing'
- Bornshorts 2014 - Nominated - Best Music Video - Sinead O'Connor 4th & Vine and Best Fashion Film 'Four-Tell'
SELFRIDGES RESIDENT FILM DIRECTOR & CONSULTANT
As well as working as a freelance director, Kathryn works in-house as the Resident Film Director & Consultant for Selfridges, where she directs and oversees all moving image content for the brand.
Her work with Selfridges has been around this theme, from “Four-Tell” in 2013, a film that featured four prominent female icons – Zaha Hadid, Sharmedean Reid, Caryn Franklin and Bella Freud – discussing the need for more visible female role models, to an entire film series on Modern Beauty (June 2014) for Selfridges' The Beauty Project which was viewed over 2 million times online. Since 2015, she has directed multiple campaigns for the brand including the award-winning Agender and EVERYbody film campaigns.
RESEARCH & LECTURING
She also works as a Fashion Film Research Fellow at London College of Fashion & a Visiting Practitioner at Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design and the Royal College of Art.
FILM CURATOR AND CONSULTANT
In conjunction with her filmmaking practice, Kathryn also works as a Curator. She began curating the annual Birds Eye View Film Festival’s ‘Fashion Loves Film’ strand at the Institute of Contemporary Arts & British Film Institute in 2008 where it continued until 2013. Since then she has been working with the British Council & The British Fashion Council as a curator specialising in the emerging genre of fashion film. Her work with the British Council has seen her travel around the world visiting cities including Sarajevo, Lagos (Nigeria), Lisbon, Jakarta, Manila, Moscow and Ljubljana giving talks, screenings and hosting filmmaking workshops. In October 2012, she curated an extensive fashion film exhibition called “Dressing the Screen” which opened at the UCCA in Beijing in October 2012 and at the ICAS in Singapore in September 2013. Her work with the BFC has seen her join a curatorial panel creating a new seasonal film festival called Fash/on Film. The Film Festival takes place at Somerset House over London Fashion Week.
Kathryn is regularly invited to present her work and join international panel discussions at events including WOW at London's Southbank Centre, La Jolla International Fashion Film festival in San Diego, It’s Nice That Presents Nicer Tuesdays, Budapest Fashion Festival, Copenhagen Fashion Film Festival, Tate Late at Tate Britain, Jakarta Fashion Week, Berlin Fashion Film Festival, Fashion in Film Festival London, Aesthetica Film Festival and Colectivo YOX in San Sebastian.